July 7 is the 188th day of the year (189th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 177 days remaining.
- 1124 - The crusaders conquer Tyre.
- 1456 - Joan of Arc acquitted (but she had already been executed).
- 1607 - God Save the King is first sung.
- 1798 - The United States Congress rescinds treaties with France; Quasi-War begins
- 1801 - Haiti declares independence.
- 1802 - The Wasp, by Robert Rusticoat[?], is the first comic book to be published.
- 1807 - Peace of Tilsit[?] between France, Prussia and Russia.
- 1846 - The United States annex California.
- 1850 - Explorer Edward Eyre[?] reaches Albany[?], Western Australia, over land from South Australia.
- 1863 - First military draft in the United States.
- 1898 - The United States annex Hawaii.
- 1917 - Aleksandr Kerensky forms a provisional government in Russia after the deposing of the czar.
- 1930 - Building of the Boulder Dam (now known as Hoover Dam) is started.
- 1937 - Japanese forces invade China, Battle of Lugou Bridge.
- 1941 - 5,000 Jews are killed in Kovono[?], Lithuania.
- 1941 - American forces land in Iceland to forestall an invasion by the Nazis.
- 1942 - The Germans conquer Woronezh[?].
- 1946 - Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini[?] is the first American saint to be canonized.
- 1954 - An Elvis Presley record is played on the radio for the first time.
- 1958 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs the Alaska Statehood Act into United States law.
- 1969 - French is made equal to English throughout the Canadian national government.
- 1972 - The Dutch decide to no longer prosecute use of soft drugs[?].
- 1976 - Viking 2 goes into orbit around Mars.
- 1978 - The Solomon Islands become independent from Great Britain.
- 1979 - 1st launch of the european spatial launcher Ariane
- 1983 - Samantha Smith, a U.S. schoolgirl, flies to the Soviet Union at the invitation of Premier Yuri Andropov
- 1986 - The government of Jordan shuts down offices of al-Fatah.
- 1994 - Aden is occupied by troops from North Yemen.
- 2004 - The last patent on the LZW compression algorithm (in Canada) expires.
- 1855 - Ludwig Ganghofer[?], writer (+ 1920)
- 1860 - Gustav Mahler, composer (+ 1911)
- 1884 - Lion Féuchtwanger[?], dramatist and narrator (+ 1958)
- 1887 - Marc Chagall, painter (+ 1985)
- 1899 - George Cukor, director (+ 1983)
- 1901 - Vittorio De Sica, director
- 1901 - Gustav Knuth[?], actor (+ 1978)
- 1906 - Leroy Satchel Paige, baseball player (+ 1982)
- 1907 - Robert Heinlein, science fiction writer (+ 1988)
- 1911 - Gian Carlo Menotti[?], composer
- 1915 - Yul Brynner, actor (+ 1985)
- 1922 - Pierre Cardin[?], fashion designer
- 1927 - Doc Severinsen[?] (Carl H. Severinsen), composer, musician
- 1940 - Ringo Starr (born "Richard Starkey"), drummer and singer (The Beatles)
- 1948 - Luc Bondy[?], film and theatre director
- 1949 - Shelley Duvall[?], actress: Nashville, The Shining, McCabe and Mrs. Miller
- 1980 - Michelle Kwan, figure skater
- 1129 - Emperor Shirakawa of Japan
- 1304 - Pope Benedict XI, (possibly poisoned)
- 1307 - King Edward I of England
- 1572 - Sigismund II August[?], king of Poland
- 1901 - Johanna Spyri, author, Heidi
- 1930 - Arthur Conan Doyle, writer (Sherlock Holmes)
- 1967 - Vivian Leigh[?], actress (Gone with the Wind)
- 1971 - Ub Iwerks, artist, director, cartoonist (drew first Mickey Mouse cartoon)
- 1972 - Athenagoras[?], patriarch of Constantinople
- 1973 - Veronica Lake[?], actress
- 1980 - Dore Schary[?], film producer, writer
Holidays and observances
July 6 - July 8 - June 7 - August 7 -- listing of all days
January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License