See also: 1980 Summer Paralympics[?]
The Games of the XXII Olympiad
were held in 1980
, Soviet Union
. Moscow won the bid to organise the Games by defeating Los Angeles
, which would host the next Olympics.
- On March 21, 1980, following the 1979 Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan, American president Jimmy Carter announced a boycott of the Moscow Olympics. The United States are joined by some 50 other countries - including Japan, West Germany and Canada - and many individual athletes from participating nations. Absence of a further 15 nations leads to only 80 nations competing, the lowest number since 1956. The boycott severely affects a great number of events, and even in events where the top athletes are present, the fields are small.
- Soviet gymnast Aleksandr Dityatin[?] wins a medal in each of the eight gymnastics events, including three titles.
- Vladimir Salnikov[?] (USSR) wins three gold medals in the swimming pool. His time in the 1500 m freestyle was the first below 15 minutes.
- Ethiopian Muruse Yefter[?] wins the 5000 m and 10000 m double, emulating Lasse Virén[?]'s 1976 performance
- Waldemar Cierpinski[?] of East Germany wins his second consecutive marathon gold.
- Women's field hockey is Olympic for the first time, but all major nations boycott the tournament. The team of Zimbabwe is invited just a week before the start of the Games, but it wins the nation's first gold medal.
- East Germany dominates rowing, as they bring home eleven of the available fourteen titles.
- Téofilo Stevenson[?] of Cuba becomes the first boxer to win three consecutive Olympic titles.
See the medal winners, ordered by sport:
1896 | 1900 | 1904 | 1906 | 1908 | 1912 | 1920 | 1924 | 1928 | 1932 | 1936 | 1948 | 1952 | 1956 | 1960 | 1964 | 1968 | 1972 | 1976 | 1980 | 1984 | 1988 | 1992 | 1996 | 2000 | 2004 | 2008 | 2012
1924 | 1928 | 1932 | 1936 | 1948 | 1952 | 1956 | 1960 | 1964 | 1968 | 1972 | 1976 | 1980 | 1984 | 1988 | 1992 | 1994 | 1998 | 2002 | 2006 | 2010
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License