March 14 is the 73th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar (74th in Leap years). There are 292 days remaining.
- 1489 - The Queen of Cyprus, Catherine Cornaro, sells her kingdom to Venice.
- 1647 - Thirty Years War: Bavaria, Cologne, France and Sweden sign the Treaty of Neutrality[?].
- 1757 - On-board the HMS Monarch[?], Admiral John Byng[?] is executed by firing squad for neglecting his duty.
- 1794 - Eli Whitney is granted a patent for the cotton gin.
- 1900 - The Gold Standard Act is ratified placing United States currency on the gold standard.
- 1903 - The Hay-Herran Treaty, granting the United States the right to build the Panama Canal, is ratified by the United States Senate. The Columbian Senate would later reject the treaty.
- 1915 - World War I: Off the coast of Chile, the Royal Navy sinks the German battleship Dresden[?].
- 1951 - Korean War: For the second time, United Nations troops recapture Seoul.
- 1964 - A jury in Dallas, Texas finds Jack Ruby guilty of killing John F. Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald.
- 1967 - The body of President John F. Kennedy is moved to a permanent burial place at Arlington National Cemetery
- 1979 - In China, a Trident aircraft[?] crashes into a factory near Beijing killing at least 200.
- 1980 - In Poland, a plane crashes during an emergency landing near Warsaw killing a 14-man American boxing team and 73 others.
- 1984 - Gerry Adams is seriously wounded in an assassination attempt
- 1989 - Gun control: President George H. W. Bush bans the importation of assault rifles into the United States.
- 1991 - After 16 years in prison for allegedly bombing a pub in an Irish Republican Army attack, the "Birmingham Six[?]" are freed when a court determines that the police fabricated evidence.
- 1995 - Manned space mission: Astronaut Norman Thagard[?] becomes the first American astronaut to ride to space on-board a Russian launch vehicle.
- 1996 - American President Bill Clinton commits $100 million to an anti-terrorism agreement with Israel to track down and root out terrorists.
- 1998 - An earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale hits southeastern Iran.
- 1681 - Georg Philipp Telemann, composer (+ 1767)
- 1804 - Johann Strauß, Sr., composer (+ 1849)
- 1853 - Ferdinand Hodler[?], painter (+ 1918)
- 1854 - Paul Ehrlich, physician, winner of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1908 (+ 1915)
- 1869 - Algernon Blackwood, writer (+ 1951)
- 1879 - Albert Einstein, physicist, winner of the Nobel Prize in physics 1921 (+ 1955)
- 1887 - Sylvia Beach, publisher
- 1912 - Les Brown, band leader
- 1916 - Horton Foote[?], writer
- 1920 - Hank Ketcham[?], cartoonist (Dennis the Menace) (+ 2001)
- 1933 - Michael Caine, actor
- 1933 - Quincy Jones, music producer, composer
- 1941 - Wolfgang Petersen, director, Das Boot
- 1947 - Billy Crystal, actor, comedian
- 1958 - Prince Albert of Monaco
- 1961 - Kirby Puckett, baseball player
- 1986 - Jamie Bell[?], actor
Holidays and observances
See Also: March 13
- March 15
- February 14
- April 14
- Historical anniversaries
January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License