is the 254th day of the year (255th in leap years
). There are 111 days remaining.
It is usually the first day of the Coptic calendar (in the period 1900 to 2099 A.D.).
- 1541 - Santiago, Chile destroyed by indigenous tribes.
- 1609 - Henry Hudson lands on Manhattan island.
- 1709 - Battle of Malplaquet - Great Britain, Netherlands and Austria defeat France
- 1714 - Barcelona surrenders to Spanish and French Borbonic armies in the War of the Spanish Succession.
- 1777 - Battle of Brandywine
- 1789 - Alexander Hamilton is appointed as first Secretary of the Treasury
- 1814 - The Battle of Plattsburgh
- 1847 - Stephen Foster's most memorable song, Oh! Susanna, is first performed at a saloon in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 1857 - Mormons and Paiutes massacre 120 pioneers at Mountain Meadows, Utah
- 1914 - Australia invades New Britain, defeating German contingent there
- 1919 - US Marines invade Honduras
- 1921 - Fatty Arbuckle arrested for rape
- 1922 - British Mandate of Palestine begins
- 1926 - Assassination attempt on Benito Mussolini fails.
- 1931 - Salvatore Maranzano is murdered by Charles Luciano's hitmen.
- 1940 - George Stibitz[?] pioneered the first remote operation of a computer.
- 1941 - Ground broken for the construction of The Pentagon.
- 1944 - Netherlands liberated by Allies
- 1961 - Formation of the World Wildlife Fund.
- 1965 - The 1st Cavalry Division of the United States Army arrives in Vietnam.
- 1970 - The Ford Pinto is introduced.
- 1973 - Chilean armed forces headed by General Augusto Pinochet take control of the country in a coup d'etat against President Salvador Allende.
- 1982 - Lebanese Christian Militia[?] kill 1,700 Palestinians in Beirut.
- 1997 - Scotland votes to re-establish its own Parliament after 290 years of union with England.
- 1998 - Independent counsel Kenneth Starr sends a report to the US Congress accusing President Bill Clinton of 11 possible impeachable offenses.
- 2000 - Activists protest against the World Economic Forum meeting in Melbourne, Australia
- 2001 - The September 11 Terrorist Attack kills more than 3,000 in the US.
- 1711 - William Boyce, composer.
- 1862 - O. Henry, writer. (+ 1910)
- 1885 - D.H. Lawrence, novelist. (+ 1930)
- 1899 - Jimmie Davis[?], composer (+ 2000)
- 1913 - Paul 'Bear' Bryant[?], College American football coach (+ 1983)
- 1917 - Jessica Mitford, writer.
- 1917 - Ferdinand Marcos, Philippines politician. (+ 1989)
- 1924 - Tom Landry, National Football League coach (+ 2000)
- 1935 - Gherman Titov, cosmonaut (+ 2000)
- 1940 - Brian de Palma, director.
- 1942 - Lola Falana[?], singer
- 1943 - Mickey Hart, musician
- 1851 - Sylvester Graham inventor of Graham cracker
- 1931 - Salvatore Maranazano[?], crime boss
- 1948 - Muhammed Ali Jinnah, first Governor-General of Pakistan
- 1971 - Nikita Sergeevich Khrushchev, Soviet politician and leader.
- 1972 - Max Flesicher[?], animator
- 1973 - Salvador Allende, Chilean President.
- 1978 - Georgi Markov, Bulgarian dissident, assassinated with a poisoned umbrella.
- 1978 - Janet Parker[?], medical photographer, the final victim of smallpox (contracted in a lab accident).
- 1987 - Lorne Greene, actor.
- 1987 - Peter Tosh, Jamaican musician and singer
- 1994 - Jessica Tandy, actress.
- 1995 - Anita Harding, neurologist.
- 2001 - Barbara K. Olson, US political figure
- 2002 - Johnny Unitas, quarterback
· September 12
· August 11
· October 11
· more historical anniversaries
See Also: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December - more historical anniversaries
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License