Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
Decades: 1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s - 1870s - 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s
1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 - 1879 - 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884
- January 11 - Anglo-Zulu War begins
- January 22 - Zulu troops massacre British troops at Isandhlwana[?]
- February 12 - At New York City's Madison Square Garden the first artificial ice rink[?] in North America opens.
- February 15 - Women's rights: American President Rutherford B. Hayes signs a bill allowing female attorneys to argue cases before the Supreme Court of the United States.
- February 22 - In Utica, New York, Frank Woolworth opens the first of many of 5 and 10-cent Woolworth stores.
- March 3 - The United States Geological Survey is created
- March 13 - Marriage of The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, third son of Queen Victoria, to Princess Louise of Prussia[?].
- March 29 - Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Kambula[?]: British forces defeat 20,000 Zulus.
- May 26 - Russia and the United Kingdom sign the Treaty of Gandamak[?] establishing an Afghan state[?].
- May 30 - New York City's Gilmores Garden is renamed Madison Square Garden by William Vanderbilt[?] and is opened to the public at 26th Street and Madison Avenue.
- December 28 - The central part of the Tay Rail Bridge in Dundee, Scotland collapses as a train passed over it, killing 75.
- December 30 - The Pirates of Penzance is first performed (Paignton, Devon, England)
- December 31 - Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time (Menlo Park, New Jersey[?].
- Hall effect discovered by Dr. Edwin Hall[?]
- Somerville College founded
- Stefan-Boltzmann law discovered by Jožef Stefan
- Dual Alliance formed by Germany and Austria-Hungary
Arts, Sciences, Literature and Philosophy
- January 3 - Grace Coolidge[?], First Lady
- January 13 - Melvin Jones, founder of Lions Clubs International
- January 28 - Francis Picabia, painter, poet
- February 22 - J. N. Bronsted, physical chemist.
- March 8 - Otto Hahn, winner of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1944 (+ 1968)
- March 14 - Albert Einstein, physicist, winner of the Nobel Prize in physics 1921 (+ 1955)
- March 26 - Othmar Ammann, engineer, Verrazano Narrows Bridge[?] (+ 1965)
- March 30 - Coen de Koning, Dutch speed skater
- May 17 - Simon Petlyura, Ukrainian independence fighter (+ 1926)
- May 25 - Max Aitken, Statesman, newspaper baron (+ 1964)
- May 27 - Karl Bühler[?], psychologist (+ 1963)
- October 29 - Leon Trotsky - Russian revolutionary
- December 18 - Paul Klee, Swiss artist
- December 21 - Joseph Stalin - Soviet leader
- December 28 - Billy Mitchell - military aviation pioneer
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License