This is a list of Danish monarchs, that is, the Kings and ruling Queens of Denmark, including Regents of the Kalmar Union, up until the present time. This includes:
- The Kingdom of Denmark (up to 1396)
- The Kingdom of Denmark (1536 to present)
The kingdom was elective until 1660.
Gorm the Old was the first trustworthy Danish monarch. All reigns before him are dubious. Denmark has one of the longest running unbroken lines of succession in the world, second only to that of the Japanese emperors.
Different branches of Oldenburg have held the Crown of Denmark since 1448, until 1864 in personal union[?] with the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein.
Danish name forms are given in parenthesis.
- 794-803 : Sigfred (Sigurd) Snogoje of South Jutland
- a Harald before Godfred
- 798?-800 : Godfred (Godfrid?)
- 810-812 : Hemming, nephew of Godfred reigned 2 years after Godfred's death
- 813 : Sigfred, another nephew of Godfred
- 813 : Anulo, a nephew of the Harald before Godfred
- 812,813,814, 819-826 : Harald Klak, brother of Anulo and nephew of Godfred
- 813-814 : Reginfrid, another brother of Anulo
- 814-827, sole ruling 827-854, died 854 : Eric I the Old, 1 of 4 corulers and sons of Godfred
- 854- after 864 : boderson of Eric the Old, Eric II the Child, whose daughter married Harald I of Norway
- 803-850: Canute I (Knud I)
- died ca 863 : Harold I (Harald I)
- before 873-? : the 2 corulers, Halfdan and Sigfrid
- a Swedish "Olof Dynasty" from ca. 850 with Olof as its first king, he was boderson of Sigfrid.
- at least 934 : Chnuba
- after 934 - memtioned with Gorm the Old in 936 : Sigtryg, last king of the "Olof Dynasty"
Note: Above list of dubious kings affected the numbering of subsequent Danish monarchs:
- Harold Bluetooth is sometimes accounted as Harald II and hence Harald II Svendsen as III and Harald Hen as IV.
- Canute the Great as Knud II.
See also: List of Icelandic rulers, List of Norwegian monarchs, List of Swedish monarchs, lists of incumbents
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License