City College of New York was originally founded as the Free Academy of the City of New York in 1847. It was subsequently named the College of the City of New York, but that name was later transferred to the complex of the municipally-owned colleges in New York City, including Brooklyn College[?], Hunter College, and Queens College[?]. At that time, CCNY became officially City College of the College of the City of New York, later becoming City College of the City University of New York when CUNY replaced the College of the City of New York as the umbrella institution for the municipal-college system in 1961. The name City College of New York, however, is in general use.