Hunter College of the City University of New York
descends from the Normal College for Women, organized in New York City in 1870
. It was originally an all-woman school for training teachers and incorporated an elementary and high school for gifted children, where Hunter College students practiced teaching. In 1887, a kindergarten was established as well. Today the elementary school and high school still exist, at a different location, and are now called the Hunter Campus Schools. It became the women's college of the municipal system, and in the 1950s
, when City College
became coeducational, started admitting men to its Bronx
campus. In 1964, the Manhattan campus began admitting men also.
The Bronx campus subsequently became Lehman College[?] when the City University of New York was organized in 1961.
The homepage of Hunter College is at:
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License