Encyclopedia > Sutters Fort

  Article Content

Sutter's Fort

Redirected from Sutters Fort

Completed in 1839, Sutter's Fort, which was originally called "Nuevo Helvetia" (New Switzerland) by its builder, John Sutter, was a 19th century argicultural and trading colony in California. The compound was built near the junction of the American and Sacramento Rivers.The fort is famous for its association with the Donner Party[?], the Californian Gold Rush and with establishment of Sacramento. The adobe structre has been restored to its original condition and is listed as a California State Historic Park[?].

History of the Fort

The Main Building of the fort is a two story adobe structure built between 1841 and 1843. This building is the only original surviving structure at the reconstructed Sutter's Fort State Historic Park. It was in here on January 28, 1848 that James Marshall met in private with Captain Sutter in order to show him the gold that he had found at Sutter's sawmill astride the American River four days earlier.



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Shoreham, New York

... Pacific Islander, 2.16% from other races, and 0.24% from two or more races. 2.88% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race. There are 145 households out ...

 
 
 
This page was created in 35 ms