Encyclopedia > Schaffhausen

  Article Content

Schaffhausen

Schaffhausen (also sometimes called Schaffhouse) is the name of one of the cantons of the Swiss Confederation as well as the name of the principal city of that canton.

Schaffhausen Canton is the northernmost canton of Switzerland, located to the north of Zurich. It has a size of 298 km² (112 square miles), mostly agricultural land. In 1996 the population was 73835 people. The German language predominates. Well regarded white Riesling wine is grown here.

The City of Schaffhausen is located 47.71N Latitude, 8.62E Longitude; it has an estimated population of 33,700 in 2003. The old portion of the city has many fine Renaissance era buildings decorated with exterior frescos and sculpture, as well as the impressive old canton fortress, the Murat. A streetcar runs out of town to the nearby Rhine Falls, Europe's largest waterfall, a tourist attraction.

History Schaffhausen was a city state in the Middle Ages, documented to have struck its own coins starting in 1005. For a time it was under Habsburg domination, but regained its independence in 1415. It allied itself with Zurich in 1457, and became a full member of the Swiss Confederation in 1501. The first railroad came to Schaffhausen in 1857. In 1944 Schaffhausen suffered from a bombing raid by United States airforce planes that accidentally strayed from Germany to neutral Switzerland.

External Link



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Christiania

... of Christiania - a partially self-governing neighborhood in the city of Copenhagen. This is a disambiguation page; that is, one that just points to other pages that ...

 
 
 
This page was created in 62.9 ms