The Russian Revolution was a political movement in Russia that climaxed in 1917 with the overthrow of the Russian Tsar system and led to the establishment of the Soviet Union, which lasted until 1992. This movement was led by Vladimir Lenin based upon the ideas of Karl Marx and marked the beginning of the spread of communism in the twentieth century.
Dates are correct for the Julian calendar, which was used in Russia until 1918. It was twelve days behind the Gregorian calendar during the 19th Century and a day further behind during the 20th century.
- January - Bloody Sunday in St Petersburg.
- June - Potemkin[?] uprising at Odessa on the Black Sea
- October - general strike, St Petersburg Soviet formed
- - Imperial agreement on elections to the State Duma - October Manifesto
- 1906 - First State Duma. Prime Minister - Petr Stolypin. Agrarian reforms begin
- 1907 - Second State Duma, February - June
- 1907 - Third State Duma, until 1912
- 1911 - Stolypin assassinated
- 1912 - Fourth State Duma, until 1917. Bolshevik - Menshevik split final
- 1914 - Germany declares war on Russia
- 1915 - Serious defeats, Nicholas II declares himself CinC. Progressive Bloc[?] formed
- 1916 - Gregory Rasputin killed
- Strikes and unrest in Petrograd
- The February Revolution
- 26th -- 50 demonstrators killed in Znamenskaya Square[?]
- 27th -- Troops refuse to fire on demonstrators, desertions. Prison, court and
- Okhrana[?] buidings set on fire. Garrison joins revolutionaries.
- Petrograd Soviet formed.
- 1st -- Order No.1 of the Petrograd Soviet
- 2nd -- Nicholas II abdicates. Provisional Government formed, Prince Lvov PM
- 3rd -- Return of Lenin to Russia. April Theses
- 20th -- Miliukov's note published. Provisional Government falls
- 5th -- New Provisional Government formed. Kerensky minister of war and navy
- 3rd -- First All-Russian Congress of Soviets in Petrograd. Closed on 24th
- 16th -- Kerensky orders offensive against Austro-Hungarian forces. Initial success
- 2nd -- Russian offensive ends. Trotsky joins Bolsheviks
- 4th -- Anti-government demonstrations in Petrograd
- 6th -- German and Austro-Hungarian counter-attack. Russians retreat in panic, sacking the town of Tarnopol[?]. Arrest of Bolshevik leaders ordered
- 7th -- Lvov resigns. Kerensky is new PM
- 22nd -- Trotsky and Lunacharskii arrested
- 26th -- Second coalition government ends
- 27th -- General Lavr Kornilov failed coup. Kornilov arrested and imprisoned
- 1st -- Russia declared a republic
- 4th -- Trotsky and others freed. Trotsky becomes head of Petrograd Soviet
- 25th -- Third coalition government formed
- 10th -- Bolshevik Central Committee meeting approves armed uprising
- 11th -- Congress of Soviets of the Northern Region, until 13th
- 20th -- First meeting of the Military Revolutionary Committee of Petrograd
- 25th -- MRC directs armed workers and soldiers to capture key buidings in Petrograd.
- Winter Palace attacked at 9.40pm. Kerensky flees Petrograd
- 26th -- Second Congress of Soviets. Mensheviks and right SR delegates walk-out in
- protest at coup. Decrees on peace and land reform. Soviet government declared -
- the Council of People's Commissars; Bolshevik dominated with Lenin as chairman
See also: Russian Civil War
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License