) is the act of taking private assets into government or state
ownership. It is the opposite of privatization
Arguments for nationalization:
- Elimination of a private monopoly in an essential service.
- Removing an extreme imbalance of wealth.
Arguments against nationalization:
- Government inefficiency in running production, trading, or service operations may cause misallocations of labor and capital, with consequent reductions in the standard of living and economic growth.
- Groups may object violently to losing their private assets, particularly when no compensation is paid.
- Lack of accountability to the market, i.e., consumer choices may be reduced and there may be no alternative sources for goods or services that better meet consumer preferences.
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License