February 29 is the 60th day of the year, occurring in the Gregorian Calendar every four years, excepting those years ending in two zeros which are not evenly divisible by 400. This means that the year 2000 was a leap year and so will 2400[?] be, but the years 2100[?], 2200[?], 2300[?] won't be leap years and neither was 1900. If this is in fact a leap year, there are 306 days remaining.
Those who are born on this day usually celebrate their birthdays on February 28 during non-leap year.
- 1736 - Ann Lee[?], founder of the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing ("Shakers")
- 1792 - Gioacchino Rossini, composer (+ 1868)
- 1840 - John Philip Holland, developer of the first submarine
- 1860 - Herman Hollerith, statistician (+ 1929)
- 1904 - Jimmy Dorsey, bandleader (+ 1957)
- 1908 - Balthus[?], painter (+ 2001)
- 1908 - Dee Brown, writer, historian (+ 2002)
- 1916 - Dinah Shore[?], singer (+ 1994)
- 1920 - Howard Nemerov[?], American, winner of the Pulitzer Prize
- 1924 - Al Rosen[?], baseball player
- 1936 - Henri Richard[?], ice hockey player
- 1960 - Tony Robbins[?], motivational speaker
- 1972 - Antonio Sabato Jr.[?], actor
Holidays and observances
- Bahá'í Faith - Day 4 of Ayyám-i-Há (Intercalary Days) (in leap years only) - days in the Bahá'í calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
February 28 - March 1 - January 29 - March 29 -- listing of all days
January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License