The coat of arms of Prince Edward Island, known officially as The Arms of Her Majesty in Right of the Province of Prince Edward Island, was begun when the shield and motto in the achievement were granted in 1905 by royal warrant of the late King Edward VII.
In the chief of the shield is the lion passant (or "leopard") of England. The lower portion depicts three oak saplings, representing the Island's three counties, beneath a mature oak that originally represented Great Britain.
The additions to the arms were granted on 26 April 2002, and the process was completed on December 13, 2002, when Adrienne Clarkson, Governor-General of Canada, unveiled the crest, supporters, and compartment, after which the full achievement was taken into official use. This was requested by Island Premier Pat Binns[?] to commemorate the 150th anniversary of responsible government on the island.
The supporters[?] are silver foxes[?], rare animals native to the region; fur farming was perfected on Prince Edward Island, and Island silver fox fur was prized. The fox also represents sagacity and wit. To denote other Island industries, one fox wears a garland of potato blossoms, and another one wears a length of fishing net.
The compartment centres on a Mi'kmaq[?] eight-pointed star symbol representing the sun; this is surrounded by roses for England, lilies for France, thistles[?] for Scotland, and shamrocks for Ireland, as well as lady's slippers[?], the floral emblem of the Island.
It has been the Island's motto since 1769.
The shield was blazoned by Royal Warrant on May 30, 1905, as:
The warrant also specified the motto Parva sub ingenti.
This was augmented by proclamation, recorded in the PEI Royal Gazette, December 21, 2002 (http://www.gov.pe.ca/royalgazette/pdf/20021221.pdf), with the following:
Canada - Alberta[?] - British Columbia[?] - Manitoba[?] - New Brunswick - Newfoundland and Labrador[?] - Northwest Territories[?] - Nova Scotia - Nunavut - Ontario[?] - Quebec - Saskatchewan - Yukon[?]