Speed is the rate of motion expressed as distance moved per unit time. Speed is a scalar; the equivalent vector quantity is known as velocity.
Units of speed include:
- metre per second (symbol m.s-1), the SI derived unit
- kilometre per hour, km.h-1
- mile per hour
- knot (nautical miles per hour)
- Mach, where Mach 1 is the speed of sound; Mach n is n times as fast.
- 1 m.s-1 = 3.6 km.h-1
- 1 mph = 1.609 km.h-1
- 1 knot = 1.852 km.h-1 = 0.514 m.s-1.
- Mach 1 = ca. 1200 km.h-1 = ca. 330 m.s-1;
Speed is also:
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License