The name derives from "pirlea", which means "Peartree lea". See lea
The townhall-type offices in their Colonial-style building were opened in 1930, but are now part of Croydon Council.
Purley grew rapidly in the 1920s and 1930s, providing spaceous homes in a green environment. Northeast Purley stretches into the chalkhill spurs of the North Downs[?]. Especially the Webb Estate made headlines in a 2002 survey, that it had attracted over the years, the highest-earning residents in the UK.
One road, in particular, Promenade de Verdun, created by William Webb, has a distinction all of its own: 600 yds long, it has on both sides Lombardy poplars planted in soil mixed with English and French earth specifically shipped over to the UK, and a plaque at one end with the inscription " Aux soldats de France mort glorieusement pendant la Grand Guerre", as a memorial to the alliance of World War One and the soldiers who died. At the other end of the road stands an obelisk carved from a single piece of stone.
Purley Way[?] which connects Purleys road system to Croydon's trading and industrial hinterland was also the main approach to the former Croydon Airport, the predecessor of the present London Heathrow Airport and London Gatwick Airport, and it joins Purley Cross as one of the busiest highways from Croydon to London.
The town is on the main London-to-Brighton railway line and is served there by three stations: Purley, Purley Oaks and Coulsdon South.
External Link: Local Gov. Site Promenade De Verdun (http://croydonparks.topcities.com/Park%20Pages/promenade_de_verdun.htm)