The Himno Nacional de Chile
) is more commonly referred to as the Canción Nacional
It has a history of two lyrics and two melodies that made up three different versions. It was composed by Eusebio Lillo[?]
and Ramón Carnicer[?]
and has seven parts plus the chorus.
The current lyrics (of the common version: one part plus the chorus) are:
- Puro, Chile, es tu cielo azulado
- puras brisas te cruzan también.
- Y tu campo, de flores bordado,
- es la copia feliz del Edén.
- Majestuosa es la blanca montaña
- |:que te dio por baluarte el Señor :|
- |:Y ese mar que tranquilo te baña,
- te promete un futuro esplendor.:|
- Dulce Patria, recibe los votos,
- con que Chile en tus aras juró,
- |:que o la tumba serás de los libres,
- o el asilo contra la opresión :| (3 times)
- |:o el asilo contra la opresión:|
During the military coup d'etat of 1973 the militars dictated that two parts plus the chorus will be used (one was "Puro, Chile...", and the other one was about the military glories of the past). It was common as an act of protest by detractors to remain in silence in the second part :)
With the arrive of democracy in 1985 the anthem went back to one part plus the chorus.
- Pure, Chile, is your blue sky,
- pure breezes flow through you too.
- And your fields, embroidered with flowers
- are the happy copy of Eden.
- Majestic is the white mountain
- that the Lord gave you as bastion,
- and that sea that bathes you tranquilly,
- promises you future splendor.
- Sweet fatherland, receive the vows
- that Chile on your altars swore,
- that either the tomb of the free people you will be
- or the asylum against oppression.
(The tranlation is a bit too literal, if you can make it
sound better in English, go ahead)
- MIDI File (http://www.copsrus.com/anthems/chile.mid)
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License