Encyclopedia > Mir Castle Complex

  Article Content

Mir Castle Complex

The Mir Castle Complex is a UNESCO World Heritage site in Belarus, southwest of Minsk located in the Grodno voblast, in the Korelichi District at 53 27' N, 26 28' E.

The construction of the castle began at the end of the 15th century, in the Gothic architecture style. Building of the castle was completed by Duke Ilinich in early 16th century near the village Mir. Around 1568 the Mir Castle passed into the hands of Duke Radziwils, who finished building the Castle in Renaissance architecture style. A three story palace was built along the eastern and northern walls of the castle. Plastered facades were decorated with limestone portals, plates, balconies and porches.

After being abandoned for nearly a century and suffering severe damage during the Napoleonic period, the castle was restored at the end of the 19th century. There was the addition of a number of other elements in the Baroque architectural style. The surrounding area was landscaped as a park. Its present form is graphic testimony to the often turbulent history of this region of Belarus.

External link



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Quadratic formula

... square roots of both sides yields <math>x+\frac{b}{2a}=\frac{\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}.</math> Subtracting b/(2a) from both ...

 
 
 
This page was created in 30.1 ms