Encyclopedia > King's Lynn

  Article Content

King's Lynn

King's Lynn is a medium-sized town in Norfolk, England on the River Great Ouse.

In the 12th century, it was part of the manor of the Bishop of Norwich. When Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in 1538, it became royal property.

The Guildhall (1421) and the Town Hall (1895) are King's Lynn's most impressive buildings, built in flint-checkered design.

In the 14th century, the town ranked as the third port of England. It became very prosperous from the 17th century through the export of corn; the Customs House was built in 1683. It was - and is - a major centre for glass-making.

The Deputy Collector of Customs in 1757 was called George Vancouver. He navigated the American coast in 1790 and gave his name to Vancouver Island and the city of Vancouver - 5,000 miles away from King's Lynn.

All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
  Featured Article
Grand Prix

... 2003-03-17 with ...

This page was created in 23.7 ms