Encyclopedia > Gisborough Priory

  Article Content

Gisborough Priory


The east end seen from the southwest
Larger version
Gisborough Priory was founded in the town of Guisborough in the 1129 by Robert de Brus, an ancestor of Robert the Bruce. It was destroyed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the stones from it were used in other buildings in the town including Saint Nicholas' Anglican church. Oddly, the East wall was left standing and is considered something of a landmark. Due to the large window in it, this wall forms a distinctive arch shape and is often used as a symbol of the town. The priory is now owned by English Heritage.

Local legend has it that a ghost, known as the Black Monk (latter-day accounts often refer to him as the Black-Cowled Monk, to avoid confusion) haunts the site of the priory on the first new moon of each year.

See also: Priory.

Spelling note: The older spelling of Gisborough, without the "u", is still correct for a number of things in and around the town of Guisborough. These include Lord Gisborough, Gisborough Hall and Gisborough Moor in addition to this priory.



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Dennis Gabor

... Wikipedia <<Up     Contents Dennis Gabor Dennis Gabor (Gábor Dénes) (1900-1979) was a Hungarian physicist. He invented holography in 1947, ...

 
 
 
This page was created in 50.7 ms