Encyclopedia > Cavendish Laboratory

  Article Content

Cavendish Laboratory

The Cavendish Laboratory is the Department of Physics of the University of Cambridge. The Department is itself part of the School of Physical Sciences. It was built in 1873 as a teaching laboratory.

The Department is named after Henry Cavendish, a famous physicist, and a member of the Dukes of Devonshire branch of the Cavendish family. Another family member, William Cavendish, 7th Duke of Devonshire, was Chancellor of the University, and he gave money to endow the laboratory in memory of his learned relative.

So far, 28 Cavendish researchers have won Nobel prizes.

There is a Cavendish Professorship of Physics.



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Bullying

... not always have inherently negative implications, it merely designated anyone who assumed power for any period of time without a legitimate basis of authority. The firs ...

 
 
 
This page was created in 33.6 ms