Encyclopedia > Boston parish church

  Article Content

Boston parish church

Boston parish church in Boston, Lincolnshire is dedicated to Saint Botolph[?], the name "Boston" possibly being a corruption of "Botolph's Town". The "Cotton Chapel", named after him, was at one time used as a school, but was restored in 1857.

The church is one of the largest parish churches in England, and has the highest tower, the so-called Boston Stump. It is believed to be on the site of a monastery founded by Botolph in 654. The building of the present church was begun in 1309, but the tower was not begun until 1450. The nave[?] is 245 feet long and 98 feet wide.

A 17th century vicar of Boston, John Cotton[?], would be one of the leaders of the Pilgrim Fathers[?] who founded Boston, Massachusetts. However, in 1612 the church was damaged by militant local puritans, and again by Parliamentary forces during the English Civil War, who are said to have used the church as their camp in 1643. Restoration work was carried out during the 17th and 18th centuries, and again in the mid-19th century, under the direction of Giles Gilbert Scott and Augustus Pugin.



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Shinnecock Hills, New York

... 27.7% of all households are made up of individuals and 14.5% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.45 and ...

 
 
 
This page was created in 60.5 ms