Encyclopedia > Westferry DLR station

  Article Content

Westferry DLR station

Westferry DLR station is on the site of the West India Docks station, part of the old London and Blackwall Railway[?]. Many people criticise this name, as there never was a "West Ferry". There was a passenger ferry at the bottom of the Isle of Dogs run by the Greenwich watermen[?]. It was accessed by two roads, East Ferry Road (also known locally as Farm Road) and West Ferry Road, built in 1812, when a horse ferry was introduced alongside the passenger ferry. From the latter the back formation of Westferry as a location was created by the Dockland Light Railway. (There was another ferry running across from Limehouse Hole[?] but this was never known as "West Ferry".)

This station is adjacent to:



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Schwalm-Eder

... merged; in 1974 the three districts Fritzlar-Homberg, Melsungen and Ziegenhain were merged into the Schwalm-Eder district. The district has partnership with the ...