The Shawshank Redemption
is a 1994 movie
, directed by Frank Darabont[?]
, based on the Stephen King
novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption
. The film stars Tim Robbins[?]
as Andy Dufresne and Morgan Freeman
Wikipedia contains spoilers
On the whole, this is a pretty faithful adaptation of Stephen Kings story to film. For a general description of the plot, see Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. There are a number of differences, though.
- The Indian Normaden that shares Andy's cell for a period doesn't appear at all in the film.
- The scene where Norton inspects Andy's cell for contraband without finding the rock hammer (and they quote scripture at each other) doesn't appear in the novella.
- In the novella, there are several wardens before Norton.
- In the novella, Norton resigns after a slight scandal about money. In the film, he has siphoned off lots of money, and when Andy gets out and this becomes known, he commits suicide in his office.
- Red never becomes assistant librarian in the novella.
- Brooksie's threats to cut the throat of another prisoner to avoid being paroled only appear in the film. In both the novella and the film, Brooksie is paroled and leaves Shawshank. His suicide soon after leaving prison only occurs in the film.
- In the novella, Andy sells off all his assets while still on trial. Together with a friend, he sets up a false identity and transfers all assets there. In the film, Andy himself sets up the false identity while laundering money for the warden, and then siphons off money from the warden's stolen money to transfer to the false identity.
- In the novella, Williams is transferred (not killed).
- In the novella, there are 14 cells in cellblock 5, facing each other across a corridor. In the movie Andy's cell is upstairs and there is no cell across from his.
- In the novella, the warden rips the poster away. In the film he throws a carved rock at it first, putting a hole through it.
- red is an irishman in the book but in the movie he is black.
Movies Cast and Credits
- Director: Frank Darabont
- Producer: Niki Marvin
- Screenwriter: Frank Darabont
- Art Director: Peter Lansdown Smith
- Casting: Deborah Aquila
- Cinematographer: Roger Deakins
- Composer: Thomas Newman ,Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Costume Designer: Elizabeth McBride
- Editor: Richard Francis-Bruce
- Production Designer: Terence Marsh
- Set Decorator: Michael Seirton
- Story: Stephen King
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License