The civilisation of the place is traced back till 500 A.D. The name originates from the cloister Reichenau on the Lake Constanze which owned properties in this location during the Middle Age. Already in the 14th century the first bridges were built over the Rhine tributaries. A roadhouse was built 1570 to collect the bridge toll. In the 17th century the first buildings for the sovereignty of Reichenau were built which became the castle of Reichenau. The Rhaetic Railway reached Reichenau 1896.
Reichenau at the location where the Rhein tributaries meet.
River from the left: Vorderrhein
River from the bottom: Hinterrhein
River to the right: Rhein