is a town in County Laois
in the Republic of Ireland.
It was first established by Queen Mary as Fort of Maryborough in 1556
. There are still signs of the garrison all over the town. The old jail has been transformed into an arts centre.
Nearby is the Rock of Dunamase[?], an ancient Celtic fortification which was allegedly mapped by Ptolemy in the 8th century.
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License