Encyclopedia > Place de la Concorde

  Article Content

Place de la Concorde

Located at the foot of the Champs Elysees in Paris, France, the Place de La Concorde was designed by Jacques Ange Gabriel in 1755 as a moat-skirted octagon between the Champs Élysées and the Tuileries Gardens[?]. Filled with statues and fountains, the area was named Place Louis XV to honor the then king. At the north end, two magnificent identical stone buildings were constructed. Divided by the rue Royale, these structures are among the best examples of that period’s architecture and remain there to this day. Initially they served as government offices and one continues as the French Naval Ministry. Shortly after its construction, the second building was made into the luxurious Hotel Crillon[?] (still operating today) where Marie Antoinette soon spent afternoons relaxing and taking piano lessons.

During the French Revolution the statue of King Louis XV was torn down and the area renamed “Place de la Révolution”. In a grim reminder to the nobility of a gruesome past, when the “Place des Grèves” was a site where the nobility and members of the bourgeoisies were entertained watching convicted criminals being dismembered alive, the new revolutionary government erected the guillotine. Hundreds of nobles, plus King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, were beheaded in front of cheering crowds. With the “Reign of Terror” subsiding, by 1795 the government began calling it Place de la Concorde (French for concord) and in 1830 the name was made official.

Today, the gruesome history of Place de la Concorde is lost behind the daily hordes of motor vehicles rushing past a giant Egyptian obelisk decorated with hieroglyphics exalting the reign of the pharaoh Ramses II. Egypt presented the 3,300 year-old Luxor Obelisk to France in 1836, and King Louis-Philippe had it placed in the centre of Place de la Concorde. The red granite column rises 23 metres high, including the base, and weighs over 250 tonnes. Missing its original cap, believed stolen in the 6th century BC, in 1998 the government of France added a gold-leafed pyramid cap to the top of the obelisk.

The obelisk lies in the line of the axe historique.

External links



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Wannsee conference

... to the Holocaust. Discussion centred on the aim of the expulsion of the Jews from every sphere of life of the German people and the expulsion of the Jews from the ...