Encyclopedia > Newhaven, Edinburgh

  Article Content

Newhaven, Edinburgh

Newhaven is a harbour village within the City of Edinburgh, Scotland, between Leith and Granton[?]. It has about 5000 inhabitants.

Once it was a thriving fishing village and a centre for shipbuilding[?]. King James VI of Scotland wanted to build a Scottish Navy and commissioned the warship Great Michael in 1511.

Between 1572 and 1890, Newhaven was a major oyster port.

Newhaven was on the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway.

A lighthouse was built in 1876. It is now disused.

The harbour looks almost lost now, next to the much enlarged Leith Harbour.

The Fishmarket is now converted into a smaller fishmarket (still in use), a fish restaurant, and the Newhaven Heritage Museum[?].

Newhaven is one of 38 Conservation Areas in Edinburgh.



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
French resistance

... Secret Intelligence Service and Special Air Service also sent agents to France. Because US and British governments did not always agree with him, Charles De ...

 
 
 
This page was created in 28.3 ms