describes a set of culturally determined values that relate to the presentation of the self
to others. Modesty is closely related to shame
It can describe:
- playing down or not mentioning one's own accomplishments, sometimes to the point of "false modesty", a form of boasting through excessive self-denigration;
- the wish or requirement not to expose too much of the human body; this applies to the bare skin, but also to the display of undergarment, and especially to the intimate parts; this is accomplished by suitable clothing, special ways of changing clothes (see beach), closing or locking the door when changing or taking a shower[?], etc.; it varies according to who could see it, with categories such as:
- spouse, partner
- friend or family of the same sex
- strangers of the same sex
- friends or family including those of the opposite sex
- people in general
- If exposure is restricted, how much exposure is acceptable varies greatly, from nothing for some women, to everything except the glans penis for men of some tribes, see foreskin.
- A derogatory term is prudishness.
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License