Encyclopedia > Lacock Abbey

  Article Content

Lacock Abbey

Lacock Abbey in the village of Lacock, Wiltshire, England, began life as a monastery of the Augustinian order. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, in the mid 16th century, it was converted into a house for Sir William Sharrington, who demolished the abbey church. Few other alterations were made to the monastic buildings themselves: the cloisters[?], for example, still stand below the living accommodation. However, additions were made over the centuries, and the house now has a tower in the Renaissance style, and various grand rooms. It is associated with William Henry Fox Talbot (who moved into a converted barn by the gate in 1833), and now houses a museum devoted to his pioneering work in photography. It is owned by the National Trust.



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Basque

... simply moved to the hills and held out there for many years. The Basques also proved during this period that despite a lack of central authority they could protec ...