July 1 is the 182nd day of the year (183rd in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 183 days remaining.
- 1782 - American privateers attack Lunenberg Nova Scotia.
- 1863 - Battle of Gettysburg in the American Civil War begins.
- 1867 - The British North America Act takes effect as the constitution of Canada, creating the Canadian Confederation; John A. Macdonald sworn as first Prime Minister.
- 1870 - The United States Department of Justice formally comes into existence.
- 1873 - Prince Edward Island joins the Canadian Confederation.
- 1878 - Canada joins Universal Postal Union.
- 1881 - World's first international telephone call, between St Stephen[?] New Brunswick and Calais Maine
- 1885 - United States terminates reciprocity and fishery agreement with Canada.
- 1890 - Canada and Bermuda linked by telegraph cable.
- 1904 - Games of the III Olympiad open in Saint Louis, Missouri
- 1916 - First day of the First Battle of the Somme. On this first day, 20,000 soldiers of the British Army are killed, and 40,000 wounded. Lasts until November; about one million casualties.
- 1923 - Canadian Parliament suspends all Chinese immigration.
- 1935 - Regina Saskatchewan police and Royal Canadian Mounted Police ambush strikers participating in On-to-Ottawa-Trek.
- 1958 - Nationwide television broadcasts via microwave begin in Canada
- 1962 - Independence of Rwanda and Burundi.
- 1963 - Zip code introduced for United States mail
- 1966 - First colour television transmission in Canada, from Toronto.
- 1968 - Nuclear non-proliferation treaty signed by about sixty countries in Geneva Switzerland
- 1980 - O Canada officially becomes the national anthem of Canada.
- 1991 - The Warsaw Pact is officially dissolved.
- 1996 - Version 1.0 of PNG, an open source competitor to the GIF image format, is finalised.
- 1997 - British returns the sovereignty of Hong Kong to China
- 2003 - Five hundred thousand people march in Hong Kong to protest the rush into legislation of Hong Kong Basic Law Article 23, the anti-subversion law.
- 1646 - Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, mathematician, philosopher (+ 1716)
- 1804 - George Sand (Amantine Aurore Lucile Dupin), writer (+ 1876)
- 1863 - William Stairs, Victorian explorer -(+ 1892)
- 1872 - Louis Blériot, first man to fly across the English channel (+ 1936)
- 1899 - Charles Laughton, Academy Award winning actor (+1962)
- 1899 - Thomas A. Dorsey, father of gospel music
- 1902 - William Wyler, three-time Academy Award winning director (+ 1981)
- 1903 - Amy Johnson, aviator (+ 1941)
- 1916 - Olivia deHaviland[?], actress
- 1917 - Rolf Rodenstock[?], industrialist (+ 1977)
- 1931 - Leslie Caron, actress
- 1934 - Jean Marsh[?], actress, originator of Upstairs Downstairs
- 1934 - Sydney Pollack[?], film director, producer, actor
- 1942 - Andraé Crouch[?], singer, conductor, actor
- 1942 - Geneviève Bujold, actor
- 1945 - Deborah Harry, musician, Blondie
- 1952 - Dan Aykroyd, actor
- 1961 - Diana, English princess (+ 1997)
- 1961 - Michelle Wright[?], singer/guitarist, songwriter, drummer
- 1967 - Pamela Anderson, actress
- 1977 - Liv Tyler[?], American film actress.
- 1894 - Allan Pinkerton, founder Pinkerton Agency
- 1896 - Harriet Beecher Stowe, author
- 1925 - Erik Satie, French composer
- 1964 - Pierre Monteux, conductor
- 1983 - R. Buckminster Fuller, architect, philosopher
- 1991 - Michael Landon[?], actor, director, producer
- 1997 - Robert Mitchum, actor
- 1999 - Edward Dmytryk[?], director
- 2000 - Walter Matthau, 79, American actor
Holidays and observances
June 30 - July 2 - June 1 - August 1 -- listing of all days
January, February, March, April, May, June, July,
August, September, October, November, December
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License