Encyclopedia > Evolution Poll

  Article Content

Evolution Poll

Here are the some of the results of a 1999 Gallup poll (http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr010214c.asp) on creationism, evolution, and public education:
  • 4% of Americans had no opinion (down from 9% in 1982)
  • 47% believe that God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so
  • 49% believe that human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.

Of that latter 49%, four fifths (40% of total) believe that God guided the process, and one fifth (9% of total) believe that God had no part in the process. Thus, 87% believe that a supreme being created humans either directly or indirectly.

One interpretation of the Gallup poll is that (to the nearest 5%):

However, the poll was specifically about the teaching of evolution of the public schools, not about one's general beliefs, so this interpretation may not be accurate.

The United Nations "Planet Project" polled people over the Internet to get worldwide views, though those are considerably less reliable than phone polls, especially because people who cannot afford Internet access may have different beliefs from those who can. On average about 18% of Europeans polled believed that man was created divinely by God (although this does not necessarily exclude evolution of the rest of nature) and the remaining 82% believed that humans descended from other species. This result is consistent with the fact that the two largest Christian denominations in Europe are the Roman Catholic church which accepts a form of evolution, and the Lutheran church which has no official position but does not generally oppose it in practice.

See: Creationism, Evolution, Theory of evolution, Educational issues



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Shoreham, New York

... 417. Geography Shoreham is located at 40°57'25" North, 72°54'31" West (40.956866, -72.908727)1. According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a ...

 
 
 
This page was created in 69.3 ms