(Catalan Comunitat Valenciana
, or historically País Valencià
is an autonomous region (comunidad autónoma
) in the east of Spain
Languages: Spanish; Catalan.
Major cities and notable towns:
- Valencia (Catalan València), capital of the province of the same name, famous festival of the Fallas in March 19.
- Castellón de la Plana (Catalan Castelló de la Plana), capital of the province of the same name.
- Alicante (Catalan Alacant), capital of the province of the same name, famous for its hard nougat or turrón duro (Catalan torró).
- Jijona[?] (Catalan Xixona), famous for its soft nougat or turrón de Jijona (Catalan torró de Xixona).
- Elche (Catalan Elx), famous for the wood of palm trees called Palmeral, and for the Mystery Play, which has been declared part of World Heritage by the UNESCO.
- Villareal[?], important producer of ceramics and brick.
- Elda[?], important producer of shoes.
- Buñol[?] (Catalan Bunyol) famous for the Tomatina, on the last wednesday of August.
Includes the provinces (Spanish administrative division):
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License