The Charge of the Goddess
is a traditional inspirational text sometimes used in Neopaganism
. It was originally written by Doreen Valiente[?]
, a student of Gerald Gardner
. It has been modified and adapted by many others, and is found in many forms today. Copyright note: Doreen Valiente[?]
has put the text of the Charge of the Goddess
into the public domain.
One of the more popular is the adaptation of Starhawk, a leader of the Reclaiming tradition[?]:
- Listen to the words of the Great Mother, Who of old was called Artemis, Astarte, Dione, Melusine[?], Aphrodite, Cerridwen, Diana, Arionrhod, Brigid, and by many other names:
- Whenever you have need of anything, once a month, and better it be when the moon is full, you shall assemble in some secret place and adore the spirit of Me Who is Queen of all the Wise.
- You shall be free from slavery, and as a sign that you be free you shall be naked in your rites.
- Sing, feast, dance, make music and love, all in My Presence, for Mine is the ecstasy of the spirit and Mine also is joy on earth.
- For My law is love is unto all beings. Mine is the secret that opens the door of youth, and Mine is the cup of wine of life that is the cauldron of Cerridwen, that is the holy grail of immortality.
- I give the knowledge of the spirit eternal, and beyond death I give peace and freedom and reunion with those that have gone before.
- Nor do I demand aught of sacrifice, for behold, I am the Mother of all things and My love is poured out upon the earth.
- Hear the words of the Star Goddess, the dust of Whose feet are the hosts of Heaven, whose body encircles the universe:
- I Who am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon among the stars and the mysteries of the waters, and the desire of the heart of man,
- I call upon your soul to arise and come unto me.
- For I am the soul of nature that gives life to the universe.
- From Me all things proceed and unto Me they must return.
- Let My worship be in the heart that rejoices, for behold, all acts of love and pleasure are My rituals.
- Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.
- And you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.
- For behold, I have been with you from the beginning, and I am That which is attained at the end of desire.
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License