Encyclopedia > Cape of Good Hope

  Article Content

Cape of Good Hope

The Cape of Good Hope is a headland in South Africa, near Cape Town, marking the turning point between the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian Ocean.

(This point is under dispute - some authorities place the division between the two oceans further east at Cape Agulhas[?], which is demonstrably further south.)

The Cape of Good Hope was first rounded by Portuguese navigator Bartolomeu Dias in 1488, who named it "Cape of Storms" (Cabo Tormentoso). It was later renamed by John II of Portugal as "Cape of Good Hope" (Cabo de Bõa Esperança) because of the opening of a route to the east.

Dutch sailor Jan van Riebeeck established a resupply camp for the Dutch East India Company at the Cape on April 6, 1652, which eventually developed into Cape Town.

On December 31, 1687 a band of Huguenots set sail from France to the Cape in order to flee religious persecution.

The United Kingdom on January 19, 1806, occupied the Cape. It was ceded to the UK in the Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1814.

See also:



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
H.R. Morgenstern

... - 1990 Four Screenplays (1995) Five Screenplays (1997) The Big Picture: Who Killed Hollywood? and Other Essays (2001) Children's books Wigger (1974) ...