The Atlanta Falcons
are a National Football League
team based in Atlanta, Georgia
- Founded: June 30, 1965
- Home stadium: Georgia Dome[?]
- Team colors: Home jerseys are black with white letters and red trim. Away jerseys are white with black letters and red trim.
- Helmet design: Black with a black face mask and a red and black falcon logo white a grey and white border on both sides, which forms the shape of an F.
- Championships won: The Falcons won the NFC West Championship in 1980 and 1998 and the NFC championship in 1998.
Timeline / Important Years
- 1965 - The Atlanta Falcons are born. NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle, grants ownership to Rankin M. Smith Sr.
- 1971 - The Falcons finish with a winning record, 7-6-1.
- 1977 - The Falcons defense sets an NFL record for the fewest points allowed in a 14 game season, 129.
- 1978 - The Falcons make the playoffs for the first time, and beat visiting Philadelphia Eagles, but lose to the Dallas Cowboys in Dallas.
- 1980 - Another playoff berth for the Falcons, as they win the NFC West, but again lose to the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs.
- 1982 - The Falcons make the playoffs in this strike-shortened season with a record of 5-2, and lose to the Minnesota Vikings in Minnesota.
- 1992 - The Georgia Dome becomes the new home for the Atlanta Falcons, as they move from the Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.
- 1995 - In the final game of the season, the Falcons beat the San Francisco 49ers to secure a playoff spot. They go on to lose to the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field.
- 1998 - The greatest season for the Atlanta Falcons. The Falcons finish with a 14-2 record and win the NFC Championship after beating the San Francisco 49ers and Minnesota Vikings, but lose to the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl.
- 2002 - The Falcons are bought from the Smith family by Home Depot co-founder Arthur Blank.
- 2003 - The Atlanta Falcons defeated the Green Bay Packers in the post season, 27-7, breaking the undefeated streak for the Packers at Lambeau Field in the post season as well as giving Brett Favre his first loss in weather lower than 34 degrees.
- First Draft Pick: Tommy Nobis, University of Texas
- First Game: Aug. 1, 1966 (Preseason) vs. Philadelphia Eagles
- First Win: Nov. 30, 1966 at Yankee Stadium vs. New York Giants
- First Monday Night Football game in Atlanta: Nov. 30, 1970 vs. Miami Dolphins
Football Hall of Famers:
No Falcons' players have been elected to the Hall of Fame.
Not to be forgotten:
Atlanta Falcons official web site (http://www.atlantafalcons.com/)
All Wikipedia text
is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License