Encyclopedia > Anbar

  Article Content

Anbar

Anbar, originally called Firuz Shapur, or Perisapora, a town founded about AD 350 by Shapur (Sapor) II, Sassanid king of Persia, on the east bank of the Euphrates, just south of the Nahr Isa, or Sakhlawieh canal, the northernmost of the canals connecting that river with the Tigris, in lat. 33 deg. 22' N., long. 43 deg. 49' E.

It was captured and destroyed by the emperor Julian in A.D. 363, but speedily rebuilt. It became a refuge for the Christian and Jewish colonies of that region, and there are said to have been 90,000 Jews in the place at the time of its capture by 'Ali in 657. The Arabs changed the name of the town to Anbar ("granaries").

Abu al-Abbas as-Saffah, the founder of the Abbasid caliphate, made it his capital, and such it remained until the founding of Bagdad in 762. It continued to be a place of much importance throughout the Abbasid period. It is now entirely deserted. The site is occupied only by ruin mounds. Their great extent indicates the former importance of the city.


Initial text from 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
KANU

... the British government was finally forced to remove all provisions of a federal nature from the constitution. Kenya became independent on December 12, 1963, and th ...

 
 
 
This page was created in 37 ms