Encyclopedia > Addington Palace

  Article Content

Addington Palace

Originally built in the 16th century, Addington Palace on the outskirts of Croydon was later changed into a three-storey Palladian[?]-style country mansion with single-storey wings and a splendid Great Hall. It is surrounded by park landscapes and golfcourses, and its gardens are still in their original design as planned by Lancelot "Capability" Brown.

After an Act of Parliament in 1807 enabled the mansion to be purchased for the Archbishops of Canterbury, it became the official residence of six Archbishops:

Most of the Archbishops are buried in St Mary's Church in Addington.

In World War One the house was taken over by the Red Cross and became a fever hospital.
In 1953, it was leased to the Royal School of Church Music[?] until 1996, when a private company took it over for development for public use.

External link:



All Wikipedia text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

 
  Search Encyclopedia

Search over one million articles, find something about almost anything!
 
 
  
  Featured Article
Monaco Grand Prix

... the spectacle of the event are likely to guarantee the event's future for some time yet. The Grand Prix of Monaco is organized each year by the Automobile Club de Monaco ...

 
 
 
This page was created in 30.2 ms